Contributing to stakeholders’ preparations for the SDG Summit
Over 150 people attended a conversation on progress and recommendations on SDG 15 (life on land) and SDG 16 (peace, justice and strong institutions), in preparation for the SDG Summit on 18-19 September 2024. Hub Director Elisa Morgera was invited to deliver a keynote speech by the Stakeholder Forum, following on her contribution on SDG 14 (life below water) in May 2023.
The webinar was the final instalment of the ‘Countdown to the UN SDG Summit 2023 Webinar Series and was held on 29 June 2023. which is supported by the UN Department on Economic and Social Affairs (UNDESA), the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) and the European Union on how to enable integrated approaches to implementing the SDGs.
Morgera’s presentation highlighted:
- The value added of SDGs focused on biodiversity (14-15) to emphasise the mandate to leave no-one behind, which is not clear in international biodiversity law;
- The need to rethink SDGs 15 (and 14) in the light of the 2022 Kunming-Montreal Global Biodiversity Framework and its references to human rights, as a clearer basis for synergies with SDG 16 and SDG 17 (notably on policy coherence);
- The opportunities for a human rights lend to identify a path towards transformative change for SDG 15 and 14;
- The need for additional work on synergies between terrestrial (and marine) biodiversity and everyone’s human rights to health and to science;
- The untapped opportunities in integrating of the ecosystem approach, the precautionary approach and the human rights-based approach.
The discussion throughout the webinar aimed to explore where we are in SDG implementation, identify transformative actions for change, and assess what kind of disruptions they might create together with the benefits for those goals under review and for other goals with which there are interlinkages, with an emphasis on strengthening the environmental dimension of the 2030 Agenda. The Stakeholder Forum also wishes to establish communities of practice that will strengthen the environmental dimension of sustainable development through the contribution of stakeholders in the lead-up to the 2023 SDG Summit and to continue that work beyond.
2023 UNDP Annual Meeting on Rule of Law and Human Rights, 20 – 22 June 2023, The Annual Meeting serves as a virtual forum to enable exchange on the current development context in relation to the rule of law, human rights, justice and security.
The Right Environment: Bridging the gap between human rights and a clean healthy and sustainable environment discussing how we can work across human rights and environmental disciplines, to protect both the environment and the people who depend on it.
Ms. Pichamon Yeophantong, Chairperson, UN Working Group on Business and Human Rights
Mr. Roberto Eugenio T Cadiz, Founding President, Climate Action and Human Rights Institute (CAHRI)
Ms. Farzana Faruk Jhumu, Climate Activist, Bangladesh
UNDP YouTube channel.